GAS Leak Detector

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Giles, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Giles

Giles Retired tool & Die and Mechanic

First of all I would like to express that I am very pleased with this web site. Although responses are sometimes few, every question I have asked in the past, has received professional no-nonsence replys.
    With that being said, I have another question. I am just a homeowner that takes great pride in doing all repair jobs that I am safely qualified to do. If I am in dought, I always ask questions. I ocassionally do work on the natural gas system in my home and the only way I have to check for leaks is with water and liquid soap and with liquid leak detector that I bought. I realise that this is a somewhat crude way to check such a critical situation and would like some advise concerning the purchase of a good electronic leak detector.
    I am thinking about a small pocket sized model that is about $40.00. Are these good enough for ocassional use?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I have NEVER seen a reliable unit for less than $200.00 or so. And, a few good answers are better than a plethora of bad or inaccurate ones.
  3. Giles

Giles Retired tool & Die and Mechanic

Yes--hj that is what I want, a few good replies instead of nonsence. Many menbers on web sites make a joke out of a question and many times it is ridiculed or hyjacked. I have never had this happen here. I didn't mean that I wanted more answers--I was giving thanks for this site!
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber