Gas Hot Water Heater-Temperature control

Users who are viewing this thread

jkcsanchez

Reaction score
I own a Rheem gas hot water heater; temperature control dial is set to the lowest setting; water temperature still rises to a dangerous 150 degrees farenheit; Can the temperature control valve be recalibrated or replaced.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes it can and probably should be. Of course all of the electronics should be tested before just sticking new parts on and hoping for the cure. A plumber would be able to test everything and then make whatever repairs are necessary.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the age, it might be under warranty. I'd give them a call. I'd also review the troubleshooting guide in the manual. If you don't have that, you can probably find it on their website.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For adults this is a 3rd degree burn in 2 seconds.

This is also why my city requires all new WH installations/replacements to have a tempering valve on the outlet. Now, those can go bad, too, but it's a secondary safety measure.

Having the water that hot has some advantages IF you have a tempering valve...it makes it look like you have a bigger tanks, and will kill any bacteria that may be in the water. It costs more to keep it hot, though.

honeywell_tempering_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jkcsanchez

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the information provided. Since the unit is 8 years old, I've decided to install a new HWH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks