Gas flex line in a wall?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Solan, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Solan

Solan New Member

Hey everyone. I'm installing a "dryer box" in my laundry room. The box creates a recess in the wall behind the dryer and allows for a connection of the 4" exhaust line and a gas line. For the gas I'd like to transition from 1/2 inch pipe to a flex line inside the wall and run the flex into the dryer box where it will connect with a termination fitting as seen here:

http://www.dryerbox.com/gas_dryer_port_install.htm

My questions are:

What is the approved method for the transition?
    Can I just screw the CSST line onto the rigid pipe?
    If so are there special connectors that I should include?

Thanks,

Solan
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The "flex line" which you can by at the hardware store or HD are NOT CSST, and absolutely may NOT be used inside the wall.

CSST can only be purchased by plumbers who have a factory training certificate. If you find someone who would sell it to you, you do not want to be doing business there.

Gas work like this ALWAYS requires a permit, and an inspector would not allow CSST installed by a homeowner.
  3. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

CSST is available off-the-shelf and to anyone in one of the box stores here where I happen to live, but that does not mean it is a good idea for an untrained DIYer to attempt installing it. With a permit, inspection and leak test required for any and all gas work, only the engagement of a pro would be wise.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The consequences of an improper gas installation are severe enough to warrant installation by a pro...

I.E.
    Failure of the family to wake up in the morning.
    or,
    A loud noise in the home accompanied by heat and incredible pressure!
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I am very surprised to hear that they are letting the warehouse stores sell CSST. I guess they sell everything else!
  6. in wants out

in wants out New Member

In California, I believe your Gastite or Tracpipe Certification allows you to install CSST only under the direction of a plumbing contractor.