Gas Explosion Rocks Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Terry, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington

The 12:30 a.m. blast was the equivalent of a 2.8 magnitude earthquake, according to the Puerto Rico Seismic Network.

Fortuno said 11 of the 40 fuel tanks were on fire at the plant, which includes a gasoline warehouse and distribution center on a bay across from the U.S. territory's capital. Caribbean Petroleum owns the Gulf brand in Puerto Rico.
  2. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Jul 24, 2007
    Robber, with some DIY on the side.
    We had one of those near where I used to live in England, about four or so years ago.

The cause of that one was petrol overflowing a storage tank after automatic monitoring systems broke down. Petrol started flowing out of vents at the top of the tank, turning into a flammable vapour cloud as it cascaded down the side of the tank.

The gaseous cloud covered nearly 8 hectares of ground by the time it was ignited, possibly by a spark in a fire pumphouse or an electrical generator building close to the site.

I don't think anyone died, which was a miracle and there were no long-term public health problems.

A lot of my friends were awoken by the blast which blew their loft hatches down!

It measured 2.4 on the Richter scale.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Nov 12, 2005
    Well there goes all the benefits of what all the Hybrid cars saved....breath deep yaall.....
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009