Gas black pipe plug

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rockycmt, Jan 9, 2008.

1. rockycmt

rockycmt New Member

I am going to turn out a 3/4 inch plug tonight that looks pretty well doped up and dry. Is there any advise as to how to start? Do I just give it a whirl or should I put something on it to loosen it/penetrate it.

Also, how do I properly clean the old threads to accept my new line?
  2. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Non-pro advice: scrape off as much dope as you can easily get rid of, give it a few squirts of PB BLaster (I may have the initials wrong), come back after a while and give it a whirl. Use two wrenches so there's no torque on the pipe.
  3. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

You should always use two wrenches so you don't loosen another section or torque the pipes.
  4. Herk

Herk Plumber

Doing your own gas piping and you don't know how to take out a plug?

Make sure you alert the neighbors so that they can get pictures for the eleven o'clock news.
  5. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Black Pipe Plug

YES "PLEASE" LET US KNOW YOUR LOCAL NEWS STATION SO WE CAN WATCH ALSO,

MACPLUMB 777
  6. Buckeyetech

Buckeyetech New Member

3/4" pipe probably won't require much more than a couple of 14" pipe wrenches.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

plug

The plug should unscrew easily, and why would you need to clean the threads if a plug has been screwed into them?
  8. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

I'm with HJ & MAC...it's ok replacing a faucet, repairing a drain or a leaky water line.
    Gas is a different ballgame.
    One very small leak inside and it can gather until it's sparked.
  9. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Mmmmm, Make a mistake with gas piping and your house could sneeze... If your still alive afterwards you will own a pile of toothpicks!