Garburator Works if ABS drain pipe disconnected

Users who are viewing this thread

azigma

Reaction score
Model Badger 1-79A
My wife put potato peelings down the garburator and when she went to use it it wouldn't drain, here's what I did.
First made sure the garburator was rotating ok and it was,next disconnected the ABS drain pipe which discharged a load of water (checked trap, it is ok)
If I leave the drain pipe disconnected and run the garburator, contentsr shoots out no problem, if I connect it up, it won't drain.
Motor appears to be running normally, eats ice cubes, (pipe disconnected) but doesn't if pipe reconnected.
Any suggestions?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your drain pipe somewhere out there is clogged with potato peelings. Happens all the time. Potato peelings are typical of the kind of food that an old disposer with dull and or rusted out gring chamber, will pass as large chunks..hence the clog.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If the stoppage is not at the garbage disposer, nor in the trap, logic says it it is somewhere in the wall. IF you do not have the equipment to fix it, and few homeowners do, call a plumber. You might also tell him to bring a new disposer in case yours is worn out, which it sounds like it is.

TedL

Reaction score
It's not necessarily worn out. I've had the same thing happen when a new, powerful disposal's output overwhelmed the marginal drain line's capacity when a large batch of potato peels were fed in at once, rather than one potato's worth at a time.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Makes me glad I trashed the garbage disposer years ago. Plastic bag under the sink holds wet garbage just fine and never clogs. Once a week everything goes to the landfill where nature will dispose of it just fine. Too bad we can handle plastic and aluminum that easily!

TedL

Reaction score
Makes me glad I trashed the garbage disposer years ago. Plastic bag under the sink holds wet garbage just fine and never clogs. Once a week everything goes to the landfill where nature will dispose of it just fine. Too bad we can handle plastic and aluminum that easily!

Is there a missing " 't " in what you wrote?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes there is. I of course meant to say too bad we can't handle plastic and aluminum that easily. Thanks for catch the error.:)

TedL

Reaction score

Don't know why you think taking it to the landfill is desirable, or that "nature takes care of it" there.

Modern landfills are lined and capped; very little biodegradation takes place in them. Even organic matter like food scraps sits there taking up space.

Much better are composting facilities for food scraps, yard waste, etc.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Compost

Don't know why you think taking it to the landfill is desirable, or that "nature takes care of it" there.

Modern landfills are lined and capped; very little biodegradation takes place in them. Even organic matter like food scraps sits there taking up space.

Much better are composting facilities for food scraps, yard waste, etc.

I don't know your local, but where I live the land fill has composting areas and the compost is free when its done. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks