Garburator Blocked Please Help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

juls_sal

Reaction score
Hello,

My garbage disposal is blocked. It is clogged with water and so is my sink. Can someone please help me!!!!

Thank you,

Julia

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does it run? If it only humms or there's nothing, depending on the brand, it may have a reset button on the bottom. The InSinkErators also have a hex-key slot in the bottom (and it comes with the wrench) that is attached to the motor shaft that would allow you to unjam it, if it is jammed (which will cause it to trip). If it runs AND is still clogged, then you'll probably need to remove the drain pipe or trap and clean it out.

juls_sal

Reaction score
Hi Jim, Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, the garburator is working. When I turn on the switch, I can the motor running. It seems like something is stuck. I just noticed that the water in starting to drain very slowly. Do you think I can unscrew it and take out the obstruction or do I need a plumber?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Hi Jim, Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, the garburator is working. When I turn on the switch, I can the motor running. It seems like something is stuck. I just noticed that the water in starting to drain very slowly. Do you think I can unscrew it and take out the obstruction or do I need a plumber?

What was in the disposal and how did it clog? My wife has clogged ours up by pushing a load of potato peelings in and then turning it on, it clogged the drain line from the disposal to the trap. The trap was fine (the other sink was draining. I was able to use a small piece of coat hanger to push through the pipe from the disposal until it was clear, no need to mess with the trap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The drain is plugged somewhere beyond the point where the two sink drains meet. WHERE that is NO ONE knows until a plumber checks the drain system. And without that knowledge we cannot tell you how to cure it, other than to call a plumber.

rogerdren

Reaction score
I think you need a plumber to consult for this problem so that you are problem will be solved.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
if you remove the trap you may end up with a flood.....bail out the sinks first and use a bucket to catch the rest...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks