Garburator Blocked Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by juls_sal, Feb 4, 2010.

1. juls_sal

juls_sal New Member

Hello,

My garbage disposal is blocked. It is clogged with water and so is my sink. Can someone please help me!!!!

Thank you,

Julia
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Does it run? If it only humms or there's nothing, depending on the brand, it may have a reset button on the bottom. The InSinkErators also have a hex-key slot in the bottom (and it comes with the wrench) that is attached to the motor shaft that would allow you to unjam it, if it is jammed (which will cause it to trip). If it runs AND is still clogged, then you'll probably need to remove the drain pipe or trap and clean it out.
  3. juls_sal

juls_sal New Member

Hi Jim, Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, the garburator is working. When I turn on the switch, I can the motor running. It seems like something is stuck. I just noticed that the water in starting to drain very slowly. Do you think I can unscrew it and take out the obstruction or do I need a plumber?
  4. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

What was in the disposal and how did it clog? My wife has clogged ours up by pushing a load of potato peelings in and then turning it on, it clogged the drain line from the disposal to the trap. The trap was fine (the other sink was draining. I was able to use a small piece of coat hanger to push through the pipe from the disposal until it was clear, no need to mess with the trap.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The drain is plugged somewhere beyond the point where the two sink drains meet. WHERE that is NO ONE knows until a plumber checks the drain system. And without that knowledge we cannot tell you how to cure it, other than to call a plumber.
  6. rogerdren

rogerdren New Member

I think you need a plumber to consult for this problem so that you are problem will be solved.
  7. Cass

Cass Plumber

if you remove the trap you may end up with a flood.....bail out the sinks first and use a bucket to catch the rest...