Garbage disposal - what's the very best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Justagirl28

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Hope the question is not too basic or stupid! I really don't care a lot about plumbing items, as long as they work. HOwever, I really hate garbage disposals and every one I've had always gives me fits. The one I have now is a "Badger". So..just curious, if money were no object, which garbage disposal would you guys recommend?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plumbers like Insinkerator.
They also make them under some other nametags too.
I notice that the PRO that the plumbers carry has some parts that the big box disposers don't have, and the in-home warranties tend to be a year longer.

I don't care for WasteKing. They tend to run them at too high a speed, and I don't like the sink connection that they come with.

wasteking-parts.jpg

http://www.insinkerator.com/product/product.php?id=206&template=hhd
Evolution Excel Disposer

badger-5-install-01.jpg

I like the Insinkerator basket better.

Last edited:

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not a pro plumber, and don't have nearly the experience as Terry or many others, but I also have had good experiences with Insinkerator.

Just don't get the low horsepower ones and you should be fine with most disposers. The cheapies are usually under-powered if you dispose of things other than coffee grinds and grapes.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Insinkerator is the way to go. The Badger 1 ( 1 year warr.) and Badger 5( 2 year warr) or the 5+ ( 3 year warr) are literally installed by the millions every year. The reasonable expected useful life is about double the warranty, and most folks get more than that. The more you pay for a disposer, the more stainless steel you get and the bigger motor you get, and an added bonus is quiet. $$$ These days, for my own home, I would never use anything but one of the Evolutions. Love'm. Landlords, assuming the tenant is just going to screw it up, opt for the Badger 1 or 5.
Top of the line....the Evolution EXCEL, which will run you over $300. Unless you get into the Commercial Disposers. Add a zero.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have an Insinkerator Evolution Excel that I put in about 4 years ago. It is the quietest disposer I've ever heard, and it will grind up just about anything you can put down it - including bones.

The best thing about it is that I have not had any clogs since putting it in. Prior to this disposer, we would routinely clog up the pipes with potato or carrot peelings and usually right before company is coming (i.e. when you are preparing a big meal and peeling vegetables.)

The Evolution Excel chops food up into smaller pieces so it is less likely to cause a clog.

Justagirl28

Reaction score
THanks for the replies! I guess I have an Insinkerator and didn't know it. Mine is the Badger 5. I thought Badger was the brand when I first looked at it. I don't know how old it is exactly. I would guess at least 4 years old. It's ok, but it locks up a lot. I try and be careful what I put down the sink, but it seems like it just doesn't keep up real well. I might go for the higher end model when I go buy one, which will be soon.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Badger 5 is my entry level disposer. They work, but then not a lot is expected of them either.

The Evolution series is so much quieter and is my favorite upgrade.
And now they have a PRO Series

I don't like Moen, American Standard or Waste King.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think Insinkerator Badger 5 1/2 HP way to go garbage problem and easy install.It is affordable priced.The bacteria coming from the garbage disposal to infect the food.

You are not supposed to eat the food AFTER putting it in the disposer! We agree that the Badger 5 is the designated workhorse in the tract housing and apartment industries. If you abuse it...to much food, too fast, not enough water, wrong foods, etc. it will clog the pipes on you.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You are not supposed to eat the food AFTER putting it in the disposer! We agree that the Badger 5 is the designated workhorse in the tract housing and apartment industries. If you abuse it...to much food, too fast, not enough water, wrong foods, etc. it will clog the pipes on you.
reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer cooked his food in the shower while he was showering:D

donl1150

Reaction score
Not exactly on topic but somewhat related......what are your thought on using a disposal when you have a septic tank? OK or not OK?

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
It is not recommended to use a disposal if you are on a septic system. A septic tank is simply a holding tank for body waste and tissue to dissolve and liquify. Do not put anything down the toilet you haven't eaten first.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; It is not recommended to use a disposal if you are on a septic system.

OH NO!, and here I, and millions of others homeowners have been doing it for DECADES and haven't had ANY problems with them.

Stuff

Reaction score
Do not put anything down the toilet you haven't eaten first.
In some countries there is a waste basket next to the toilet for used toilet paper. Most in this country think the effort to empty a septic tank once in a while is acceptable.

xMystic

Reaction score
While the term 'garbage disposal' might lead you to believe you can put actual garbage in it....DON'T!!!

One rule of thumb you can go by when it comes to garbage disposals is that you can put it in your garbage disposal if you feel comfortable chewing it.

This does come with a few exceptions.

DO NOT put: Oil, Grease, or any non-food item...

sajesak

Reaction score
While the term 'garbage disposal' might lead you to believe you can put actual garbage in it....DON'T!!!

One rule of thumb you can go by when it comes to garbage disposals is that you can put it in your garbage disposal if you feel comfortable chewing it.

This does come with a few exceptions.

DO NOT put: Oil, Grease, or any non-food item garbage disposal not turning on...
My garbage disposal went out today. It's not quite 3 years old. What's a good garbage disposal to get. I'd like to stay under $150, but if I need to spend more I will. The current one is listed as a 1/3 HP and is just a cheap builder grade unit.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I run cheaper ISE disposers mainly Ive got a near new cheap waste king that I removed on a house only a few monthes old That I might try out Some say for a cheap disposal they are good . Ill throw it in my house when my cheapo disposal quits and try it hopes arent super high.
The prices soar You might need to double down at the 300 dollar level

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks