Garbage Disposal Replacement Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Cherron

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am replacing an old, leaky garbage disposal this weekend. The new disposal that I bought has a grounded plug but the old disposal under my sink seems to just be wired directly to the switch.

I am just looking for some advice on the best way to connect the electric! I saw a post that suggested cutting the plug off of the new disposal and wiring it to the old wire, but I am not sure if this is the safest route to go.

Thanks so much in advance!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Open the "box" on the bottom of the disposer. Unscrew the green ground and cut the wire nuts on the other two wires. REmove the adapter that attaches the cord to the disposer. Then install the old adapter, and wire, from your disposer through the opening and reconnect the two wires, and the ground if there is one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Or, you could install a box with a receptacle in the wall, and just plug the new one in. Well, you could also use a surface mount box if you didn't want to cut into the wall to install a box.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Ground is necessary. I hope you have one in there.

Maybe not really 'necessary' if it it is metal sink with a metal faucet and metal water piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks