Garbage disposal just put in, smells bad. Help please.

Users who are viewing this thread

jitterpug

Reaction score
A friend installed a garbage disposal for me yesterday.
When I got up this morning and opened my bedroom door, the odor was pretty strong coming from the kitchen.
I have cleaned it out at least 10 times, using vinegar, dish soap, hot water, cold water, etc.

There is at least 1 inch of standing water inside the disposal.
I think the exit pipe from the disposal should be going down not up. Could this be the problem?

Here it is:
Dishwasher is located on the left.

billyhorse_disposal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Evidently your friend hasn't grasped the concept that water flows downhill. That is exactly the problem.
You are going to have to lower the drain outlet (in the black pipe) and replumb that mess for things to
work correctly.

jitterpug

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'd like to ask which is the best way to connect.
If I come straight across it will land exactly at the pea trap joint.
Will I have to lower the pea trap/ entire assembly, or can I run it lower back (see pic) and add additional pea trap?
What is best?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You have room to lower the connection of the waste arm into the down pipe. That will allow the disposer to drain through a downturned elbow...much perferred to even a straight across connection as you suggested.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Evidently your friend hasn't grasped the concept that water flows downhill. That is exactly the problem.
You are going to have to lower the drain outlet (in the black pipe) and replumb that mess for things to
work correctly.

That may not be the only problem. It looks like there may be a AAV above the sanitary tee that could have failed.

John

jitterpug

Reaction score
You have room to lower the connection of the waste arm into the down pipe. That will allow the disposer to drain through a downturned elbow...much perferred to even a straight across connection as you suggested.

Ok, so like this then?
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g63/billyhorse69/misc/disposal3.jpg
Sorry for the multiple questions, but I've never had to figure this out before.
I'm very frustrated with it, I thought my friend could do it.
I paid him $50 for the pipes which he bought at Lowes. Now I must buy more.
Plus the smell is maddening in here.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Can't do two traps. Drop the existing tee down to where you show the new tee in your drawing. Lower the p trap, use a longer tailpiece from the sink down to an end outlet waste.

jitterpug

Reaction score
Can't do two traps. Drop the existing tee down to where you show the new tee in your drawing. Lower the p trap, use a longer tailpiece from the sink down to an end outlet waste.

I see. I thank y'all for all the help.
He is finally here again to work on it.
I shall show him this data.
Will let you know what it ends up looking like.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks