garbage disposal is dead-serious prob!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by qkrinkle, Jun 23, 2006.

1. qkrinkle

qkrinkle New Member

i tried using the hex allen wrench to get the flywheel to move but it's stuck completely. the disposal has power to it (i've turned it off of course while working on it).

so now the stupid thing is in pieces on my kitchen floor and i can't seem to find a problem other than buildup that i've removed.

it's a badger 5.

any help would be awesome!!! this problem has kept me up all night and i'm 8 1/2 months pregnant and can't afford a plumber! :)
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Can you afford $50-60.00 for a new one?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Ise

Replace it. Once you take it apart you will not be able to reassemble it without it leaking. The bearing or cutter plate is frozen, or freezing.
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

If $$$ is very tight you can eliminate the disposal and install a endwaste outlet in its place untill you have enough $$$ for a new one. You can get a new one with a dishwasher hookup and all you need to do the job for under $15.00 at a big box store. You would need a new basket strainer also.
  5. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Garbage disposal

If it wasn't a simple jam most of the time it is not worth messing with. Even if you could get the parts you would have most of cost of a new disposal invested in the repair and still have a old disposal. I agree with the other post to replace. Luck.
  6. qkrinkle

qkrinkle New Member

thank you

thanks for the garbage disposal help. i did indeed break down and buy a new one. 1/2 way installed already! thanks for your help!