garbage disposal height

Users who are viewing this thread

A0159072

Reaction score
Help! I have a question about locating my GD on the deep side of
a double sink during a kitchen remodel.
Is it OK for the outlet of the GD do go DOWN through a trap and back
UP to a T and another trap -- as long as the GD outlet is above the final trap??

I want to connect just like the picture located at
http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_3d_index.asp?page_id=35743512

but I want to make sure it will not backflow into my GD. This picture seems like the shallow sink drain can flow into the deeper sink drain through the GD.
Thanks !
Tom

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tutorial is wrong.
It shows the drain being higher then the disposer.
How would you expect it to drain up?

With most deep sinks, the drain from the wall needs to be 16" from the floor or lower.

sink_dw.jpg

A0159072

Reaction score
Terry - yes that is what I thought (diagram is wrong). Can I come straight out of the GD to a T or do I need to use a 90 to go down? That would buy me a few precious inches to keep the GD above the trap.
Thx, Tom Becker

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposer

That tutorial is what happens when you give unqualified people access to the Internet. That is about the WORST way a disposer could be connected, and if the opening in the wall is above the disposer outlet, there is NO way to make it drain properly. But if it is higher, then the usual "disposer continuous waste" will do it properly, without using the elbow which comes with the disposer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks