Garbage disposal drain????

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Slfrat, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Slfrat

Slfrat New Member

I realized after the fact that this isn't the correct way to install a drain on a garbage disposal. Question is, is there anything about the way it was done that could cause problems?

Attached Files:

2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

It's hard to tell what you have because your picture shows black on black, but I think if those 2 P traps are connected, you have an illegal S trap. ABS pipe and fitting are cheap, so I would just remove the whole mess and start over and do it right.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is NOT an "S" trap, nor is it a "double trap", but the trap at the disposer is useless and not necessary. The tee that the disposer is connected to is upside down. So other than these two "defects" and it not being how I would have done it, it is a good DIY kludge. You could also reposition the weight on the sink hose so you could pull the spout out further.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

This would be cleaner. Remove the 90 bend that came with the disposer and pick up a disposer kit with baffle tee.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The new picture helped me see what you have. It still is a mess and I'd redo it.