Garbage Disposal ---Arg!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by sinkerator, Jan 1, 2008.

1. sinkerator

sinkerator New Member

I peeled potatoes and put the peelings down the garbage disposal. It seems I put too many and now I have water/ peelings standing in the disposal side of the drain only. Water flows fine down the standard side. I tried tapping on the pipe connecting to the standard drain put dont know where the clog is directly. What would be the safest, cheapest, and easiest way to fix my potato peeling problem? Thanks!
  2. use the plunger....LUKE....

The potatoes are stuck in the baffle
    Tee under your sink... they cant make the bend..

try useing a plunger on the garbade disposal side
    of the drain with water in it and you might be able
    to dislodje the potaote peels
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Can you pull apart the pipes between the disposer and the tee?
  4. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

I would do that.

If you plunge the drain you may end up sending the clog down.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

That should do a good job of pushing water into the dishwasher or, making an air gap geyser!
  6. sinkerator

sinkerator New Member

Yay! New Year's dinner is now saved!

The kraut and sausage is ready.. come and get it! Now I can wash my dishes! I tried the plunger first and low and behold it worked. Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to help anyone who needed it, if only I wasnt a new home owner and dont really know many fix it problems yet. The next task is to fix a hole in the wall, scrape the acoustical popcorn from the celing and put new shingles on the roof.

Thanks again!
  7. Cookie

Cookie .

8. do it all the time

its worth a shot.....

you dont know if they even have a dishwasher....

it works about 75% of the time

or you can take everything apart under the sink

whatever they feel is the easiest way

to make it go down..
  9. sinkerator

sinkerator New Member

celing

Thanks for the advice on the popcorn. The previous owners installed the popcorn, he did a lot of remodeling to the house. Sad to say some of it was done poorly, but done none the less.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

stop

Now you have to find out why the disposer pulverized the peels instead of grinding them. It could have just been too much too soon, but it could also be because the grinding ring and plate are worn out.
  11. MG

MG New Member

Potato peels are not a good thing to go down a disposal...I've lived in several places, and am yet to see a GD that handles them well.