Garbage Disposal and Dishwasher problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cbalding, May 25, 2006.

1. cbalding

cbalding New Member

Small problem and I can't quite figure out what the problem is. I had to replace my garbage disposal. Got a new one, replaced it. Hooked up all the old lines into their proper places and away we go.

The only problem is now when I run by dishwasher, instead of draining completely through the drain line, a fair amount of water comes out of the over flow line next to the faucet.

The garbage disposal works fine. I have stuck a snake down the pipe with no apparent problem. I have reconnected everything and checked all the connections. There are no leaks from the garbage disposal itself. All the pipes are tight.

I can't figure out where the problem is. It is only when I run the dishwasher that water comes out of the overflow next to the faucet. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Jeff1

Jeff1 New Member

Did you remove the plug from the disposal where the dishwasher connects to it?
  3. Kristi

Kristi Tradesman Plumber

:)

you need to bang out the plug inside the drain port of the garburator, which is what Jeff said. Imagine if you wanted a garburator, but not a dishwasher - this is how you could accomodate everyone! I would remove the garburator, lay it on its back with the drain port facing up, take my big utility flathead and give it two good whacks with a hammer... keeping in mind that this is an appliance, don't be too rough with it.

~k~
  4. cbalding

cbalding New Member

Thanks

Thanks. That was the trick. Didn't even know that was a problem.

Christopher
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Too bad every problem isn't this easy to diagnose!