Garage Progress ... pictures!

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Lakee911, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I thought that maybe some of you would like to see some pictures of my current project. I'm building a 22ft x22ft two-car garage.

I have been asking some questions in other threads too, but from now on I'll consolidate them here.

Images are clickable for a larger view.

This was the backyard. I have about 55 feet from the edge of the deck to the alley in the back. There was a slab from the old garage and the fence had continued across the back of the lot (but has since been removed).

The original plan was to put the garage around the old foundation and pour the new slab over the existing.

Unfortunately when I removed the fence I found the telephone pedestal. I don't know how this ended up on my property, but it's there and it is a very long and involved process for me to get AT&T to move it. In the future I may propose that they rent the space for their equipment (the pedestal) because they have no easement on my property. I have no telephone service. So, I shifted the foundation closer to the house by 12" or so.

[​IMG]

Excavation started. I hired a K&H Construction to do the concrete work.

[​IMG]

Excavation for the footer complete. I was baffled by the island of dirt left in the middle. I think most Contractors would have cleared the site before digging the footer. He says that he'll remove it after the footer is poured. As you can see, the existing slab and grade beams were in the way of the new footer. We decided to remove the entire slab and lower the finished elevation of the slab. This results in more dirt being hauled away, but I think the result will be nicer.

[​IMG]

It took a day and half for the city inspector to show up to look at the hole. He signed off on it, but he commented on the island of dirt too! So, the Contractor poured the footer today. (I didn't get a picture, but I did see that he put rebar in the footer when I came home for lunch.) I would have liked to see the pour but I got home just as the concrete truck was leaving.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the Contractor allowed the concrete truck to drive through the grass near my huge silver maple. Previously we discussed access from the street using long chutes. I hope that the compaction doesn't adversely effect the tree. Had I see him, I would have put a stop to this immediately.
  2. Lakee911

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So, the current plan is to remove all of the soil on the 'island' and pour the slab on top of the footer. This will minimize the slope of the approach, but towards the back of the garage where there is a door it will crate a new problem. My slab will be 12" below grade.

[​IMG]

Conduit stubs are sitting out for placement into the block wall. One will be for future electric service and the second is spare.

Originally I planned on using pavers to extend the existing side walk to the door. Tomorrow, I will talk to him about pouring a 4ft x 4ft pad outside the door and providing a step inside of the garage.

To be honest, I never expected to have 12" of slope over the length of the garage, so this isn't something that I expected to deal with.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

garage

The compaction did nothing to the tree. I hope you have level stem walls to put the walls on if the garage floor is that far off level.
  4. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

Why is there 12" of slope over 22'
    I was told 1/4" per 4' = 1.5" you should have
    So is it the pad that will slope, or is it the ground that slopes?
    My guy dug the topsoil out & left the gravel/rock in the middle for back fill
  5. Lakee911

I hope not...

Sorry .... that is grade that is sloped 12" over 22'. I made the assumption that my lot was level--nope. His footer is level within 1/4".
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I plumbed a home for a Boeing Engineer, he thought his lot was level too.
  7. Lakee911

Well the block is half done. Some measurements are off and quality isn't quite up to snuff but I'll see how things look tomorrow.(I think the Contractor left his mason all alone and now we have some mistakes). I'll post pics then too.
  8. Lakee911

I have pictures (click for larger view) from the 12th when the block was half done.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As of last night, the Contractor (thought he) completed his block-work. Unfortunately he missed his measurements on the garage door opening. The sidewalls are supposed to be 2'-9" and upon completion they were 1'-11.5" and 2'-7.5"! Maybe I should have given him tolerences? ;) He also laid an extra course of block across the garage door opening that doesn't belong there. He's going to fix those issues.

He also forgot to put conduit stubs in the stem wall. I punched holes in a below grade block and placed them last night myself. I had to cut the conduit off of the long radius elbow to get it in place, but I used a couple of couplings to put it back together.

His blockwork isn't the best, and it seems like he skimped on the mortar (yet he has half of his supply left as extra). The block is to be filled with concrete though so I'll see how it looks when done and have him fill any joints that need it towards the end.

I forgot my camera at the office last night, so I'll take more pictures soon.
  9. Lakee911

The blue box store doesn't stock any lengths of lumber over 16' long. I need two 18 footers for my garage door header. :(

I got a price of < $18.00/ea from the local lumber yard. Unfortunately they want $60 to deliver them. :eek:

My Jeep Liberty has the side bars for roof rack. I'm thinking of attaching two 2x4s across those at the front and rear and carrying the 2x12's home that way.

The Jeep Liberty is just over 14.5' long. So, I'd have just under 2' of overhang in the front and rear. I figure a couple of ratchet straps to the front tow hooks and to the rear receiver should hold it down.

I'll have to figure out a way to attach the 2x4s to roof's side bars.

Thoughts?
  10. Lakee911

I went ahead and backfilled the south side so that I can start to get the yard back in shape. You can also see the conduits that I stubbed up for him.

I contemplated busting out that extra row of block and fixing the sides where the block is too short. I figured if he comes out with his block layer on Monday and it's already done he might be a little ticked off.

[​IMG]

I also measured and discovered that the cable line to the neighbor's house is going to be just touching the top of the garage. I will call Time Warner and ask about a mid-span drop or I'll just pay the $35 for them to move her line underground.

The power line to the neighbor's house will also be above the garage, and it will be too low to meet code but it won't be touching anything right now.

I think that I'm going to take Monday off of work so that I can keep an eye on what's going on here.

Jason
  11. Lakee911

I took yesterday off. At 9:15A no one showed up so I called the Contractor and he told me he would be there at 10AM. He informed me that he had to wait for another inspection. Previously I had called the City and no other foundation inspection was necessary. I told him that.

So at 10:30 (or maybe later), he came and they moved some material around, demo'd the extra block and backfilled a little bit around the foundation. He left around lunch time. I really don't think he had planned on working Monday. He did call in the afternoon and let me know that he was looking for a place to haul the dirt to and on Tuesday afternoon he'll be removing the dirt from inside the foundation.

So, we'll see what happens today. I'm looking forward to see some progress.

Jason
  12. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Sounds like you have one of those "special" contractors. My wife's cousin was "special", no wonder he got the pink slip.

Any fun stuff going in the garage? i.e. car lift
  13. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

He is special. Most of the contractors round here would not have turned up at all.
  14. Lakee911

Not good.... No show. No call. Didn't answer my call.

Update: Got a hold of him. "First thing in the morning," he says. We'll see.

I'm getting a little nervous. I have materials being delivered Thursday... It should be easy to cover for a few days, but I am concerned about theft and damage to the grass.

Jason
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  15. Lakee911

Well, we have some progress! I forgot the camera at the office so I took these with the cell. Click for larger pics.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It would appear that we got a late start today. He hadn't started when I came home at 11:30A and he was gone by 4:30P.

I really wish that he would have left the keys to the skid steer. I would have loved to take out a few bushes and move a little dirt around for a future flowerbed. It would have been fun. :)

I laid the conduits next to the garage so that he doesn't forget that they need buried under the drive.

I think that I'm going to be very happy with the slope of the approach. I will try to take some measurements after dark to find the elevations.

Still lots to do ....
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  16. Ian Gills

In Key West, that would be a good single family home you've got going there!
  17. Lakee911

Sorry--missed this earlier.

Nothing fun yet--I'm just happy to have a place to put my vehicles.
    I will have just over 10' of headroom though so there is potential for a small lift later if the boat comes in. :)

After my final inspection I plan on putting in a 60A subpanel. I will also make provisions for natural gas heating and water (sewer isn't possible) when I have the ground opened up for the electrical (to garage, house service upgrade and conversion from oh to ug). I plan on eventually insulating and hanging drywall.
  18. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Sounds pretty cool. I've got a 2 car garage attached but I'd really like to add a 3 car on the side, detached and convert the 2 car into a large play/theater/family room. My wife's not buying into it yet. She's concerned about resale and fitting in with the neighborhood as all garages around here are attached. This would also create a courtyard setup for the future pool.

My dream garage would have 1 maintenance lift, 1 storage lift and a beam mounted crane over the maintenance lift. That would allow 3 cars for storage and the 1 car side would be for storage.
  19. Ian Gills

Stuff the garage. I'd like a drive.

Baby steps.
  20. Lakee911

Almost

All of the material within the block was removed today. He laid down what appears to be #304.

[​IMG][​IMG]

He told me he will try to pour at 9:30A tomorrow. I'm not sure how that's possible given the fact that he doesn't typically arrive until after that. I guess he'll show up early.

He still needs to dig out a trench for the conduits that I've laid across the drive. He needs to form up the step in the back of the garage. Stone needs compacted. He needs to dig out the area behind the door to complete the sidewalk.

He's going to pour the drive and the garage floor as one monolithic pour and put in saw-cut expansion joints later. I guess I'm not getting the preformed expansion joint material between the garage and the drive that I called out on the plans. He still hasn't cut one of those blocks that was misplaced. No rebar/remesh either. I know it's not right but I'm tired of complaining and correcting.

He put down gravel in the alley for my neighbor today too. I wish that he would have spent the time finishing my project properly before starting another.

[​IMG]

On a side note, bLowes didn't deliver my materials today. When I called to get a delivery window she told me that it was scheduled for Sept 10 and I told her no it was supposed to be today. (Where that date came from, I don't know.) She put me on hold and pretty much told me if I don't remember when I told them (morning or afternoon) then she can't tell me the time of the window. It's not that I couldn't remember--it's that no one asked me! She told me they would call back and let me know when they're 45min away. I recognized her voice and I can picture her in my head but I don't know her name. I'll find out though...

I called back and talked to someone I knew (the gal that helped put together the order--she is great) and she seemed as ticked off as I was. She told me they could do an 'emergency delivery' and I said no that tomorrow would be fine. Why the girl up front just didn't do anything about it and left it for Sept 10, I don't know.

I hate that particular store and almost everyone that works there with their [body part] up their [other body part].

So, anyways ... we got a pretty big downpour this afternoon too. I hope that it didn't make a big soupy mess of the soil under the gravel.

[​IMG]