garage door insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

matrickz

Reaction score
I am looking at insulating my garage door (in LA so I am worried about heat and less about cold). Looking at an R5 and an R8 solution. R8 would run about $140. R5 about $85. I am thinking it would take a LOT of heat savings to pay back that$60 or am I way off base?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the garage conditioned space? First thing I'd look at is making sure I had a good threshold gasket and flexible seals along the other three sides.

Are the walls in the garage insulated? If not, it's a waste of time to insulate the door.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; If not, it's a waste of time to insulate the door.

Not really. If the door is in the sun, it will absorb the heat and transfer it to the garage, and a 16' garage door is a HUGE radiator.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If the garage walls are insulated, then yes, it's worth insulating the door, but fix the air infiltration while you're at it. If they aren't, the heat can radiate out the shady side as well as in.

Is the door metal or wood?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a fairly large garage/shop with 2 overhead doors. Wall have 2x6 studs with batt insulation behind drywall. 12' ceiling has 12" blown insulation. No windows and 2 walk in side door, steel coated. The overhead doors are insulated with strips of 2" foam. There are air leaks around these doors, but still with 100 degree plus days, the interior is 20 degrees cooler that the outside. I maintain 55 degrees inside during the winter with an overhead gas furnace. I can boost the inside to 70 or so in just a very few minutes. I know it would be wise for me to seal around the overhead doors better, but my gas bill (combined with all gas appliances in the house) is quite reasonable so I'm not too motivated.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
IF you have at least some walls insulated, it certainly makes sense to insulate the garage door.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In LA it would be pretty common for the garage NOT to be conditioned, and in fact to be ventilated.....intake vents at the level of the bottom plate, and soffit or roof vents up high. Nonetheless, if the door faces south or west, you do get a lot of heat gain from it, so insulation would help.
Why do you need the garage to be cooler? Is it a shop? How often is the door opened??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks