gap in seal of kitchen faucet faceplate

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by asenk, Oct 15, 2010.

1. asenk

asenk New Member

Hi,
    I just noticed I have a gap between the kitchen faucet faceplate and the sink top. There does seem to be a black seal around it the whole base of faceplate. So the gap is just between under the rubber seal and sink top. It seems the sink isn't really level at that part for some reason. So when using it (like washing dishes and whatever), and water would go to that area, it would just seep in under and into the cabinet space below. I noticed because the bottom was wet. But I really noticed the gap when there were ants crawling through it. What would be the best way to fix this gap? Take the faceplate out and put some plumbers putty and put it back?

Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

What is the sink made of? Stainless steel? If the sink is bent, then about all you can do is caulk the space, since there may be no way to "clamp" the faucet to the sink in the center.
  3. asenk

asenk New Member

It is a cast iron sink. The faucet is Glacier Bay.

Here is a picture. You can see on the left side there is a noticeable gap and the sink surface starts to curve down.

IMAGE_115.jpg
  4. jay_wat

jay_wat Plumber

id use the putty around the sink holes,,,,and when the faucet is re-installed,,id use some clear dap around the base of the faucet. is that a 1 hole sink or 3 hole?? looks like it wasnt made for faucets with such a large base.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You have a defective sink. The problem with using anything under the faucet other than the rubber seal is that the "trim" piece is just a thin piece of metal where it contacts the sink, so there is really no "surface" to seal against putty or anything else. All you can do is cauld around the outside to seal the faucet to the sink. You will have the same problem with any faucet, except one that uses a single center hole to mount the faucet and the "trim plate" would then have its own seals at the other two holes.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Hard to tell without a better overall picture. If this is a regular kitchen sink, that is a defect. It almost looks like a depression designed in to hold a bar of soap, meaning you put in the wrong faucet. How about a wider angle photo?
  7. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

If that's a Glacier Bay Sink welcome to their world, I don't think they know what is straight, sorry.
  8. asenk

asenk New Member

I think you are right. The sink wasn't designed for a faucet with a face plate over it. There is the indentation on both sides.

Yes, the sink is a three hole.

The previous owner installed this faucet. So I guess i should replace it eventually. Any recommendations?

Here is the overall picture of the sink.

IMAGE_118.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  9. asenk

asenk New Member

If I were to replace the faucet, should I not buy a faucet with a plate deck anymore?

Even if my sink is defective, i dont plan on replacing it anytime soon. Seems like the tiles would need to be removed around the sink for this to happen.
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you lay a straightedge along the valve, is the sink flat, or is the faucet? How many holes are in the sink? You might be able to use a single hole faucet...then, no plate. Even if there are extra holes, you could use them for other things like a soap dispenser. Depends on how many. If you have a disoposer, you could use one of them for an air switch.