gap for tub drain kit too big .......

Users who are viewing this thread

densmper

Reaction score
Doing a new drop-in of a MAAX soaker tub with front center drain on a slab floor. I set the W/O kit in cement. I allowed for the thickness of the tiles under the roll top of tub, but I did not calculate for the Kerdi membrane and mortars. The gap between tub base and flange is now almost 1/2" thick. The drain kit will thread it's way down but the gasket obviously will not seat properly.

Is there a washer or spacer available or fabricate for the rubber gasket to seat on?
I'm afraid I may have to chip out the cement and redo.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You had WAY too much confidence in your abilities. I, and most plumbers, would NEVER cement a waste and overflow into the floor. We would assemble it to the tub, then either install it along with the tub, or install it just before setting the tub on to it. The way you have done it, even if you find a gasket that will fill the gap, you will NOT be certain it is being compressed to make a good seal.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Yikes, why on earth would you pour concrete around any of it? I block out room before concrete for the trap/drain/overlow and pour some stone or gravel in the bottom later...

The only way to fix this properly is with a jack hammer.

densmper

Reaction score
Well, I chose to go ahead without the input of a retired Master Plumber up the street. He offered to guide me. I admit it, I was over-confident. It shouldn't be too big a job to chip away the cement. It will learn me a lesson. Thanks for your input guys!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks