Gap filing tile floor

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by gerardw, Dec 29, 2009.

1. gerardw

gerardw New Member

A friend has a tile entryway. The tiles are well fastened to the floor and evenly spaced. The mortar or grout used to file the gaps between the tiles is not flush with the floor which makes cleaning difficult. The gaps are about 1/4 inch wide and 1/8 inch deep.

Is there something that can be used to fill the gaps flush with the tops of the tile? I understand that removing existing filler and redoing is probably the ideal solution but that's not in the budget for this job.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Someone was too aggressive rubbing out the grout, or rubbed it out before it was set enough. You could use a carbide hand grout scraper to rough it up and take some out, then regrout over it.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you're up for the manual labor, it's not all that hard to regrout. The tools and materials are pretty cheap. Check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling issues.