Galvanized waste rules in highrise building

Users who are viewing this thread

highrise

Reaction score
I am managing a 15 story highrise built in about 1975. My question is with 2" galv for sink waste lines and a 1/2" fall per foot , how does that take place when you cant really bend the pipe on a 10' run to fall 5"s or ???

Another question is when a line horiz. line goes into a riser line does it use a straight tee or do they make a sweep tee? The drain cleaner guys ran a snake but said it was not going down the line but instead going up the vent when it came to a tee. This does not make sense to me in this day and age. Would not the tee need to be a sweep to insure the snake always ran down hill?

Help

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That system is installed with "Durham" fittings. They are tapped with a built in 1/4" per foot slope. To get more slope, we cut "crooked threads" on the pipe. The tees ARE sweep tees, but it is only a "nudge" in the proper direction. The snake SHOULD go downward, but there are several factors that could allow it to go up the line instead. One of them being if the pipe is stopped up exactly at the tee. They may not be using the right snake.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Does your code require 1/2" per foot? Threaded cast iron fittings are built with "slope" . Probably at 1/4" per foot

highrise

Reaction score
Just guessing at slope since it used to be 1/8 for 4" 1/4" for 3" so I assumed doubling for 2"

Just learning. Highrise stuff is different then residential.

Thanks to all

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks