Galvanized Tee for kitchen drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Just1

Reaction score
Also, I dont see any 2 inch tubular pvc p traps. Is there any way to go from the 2 inch trap adapter to an 1 1/2 tubular pvc trap?

Just1

Reaction score
I think I actually want to use 2 inch schedule 40 pvc until i have to connect to the sink tailpiece. Can I thread a male pvc adapter into the galvanized tee ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How much room do you have to get to the trap? Nibco makes a 2" tubular trap adapter Model # C4801-7, available at HD. You'd need either a brass nipple (cut off the outer end) and a stub of pvc along with a nohub connector. This is if you wanted to use 2" tubular after this. I'm sure there are other ways to piece this together.

Just1

Reaction score
This is where I get confused. My plumber neighbor tells me that kitchen sinks are 2 inch traps and the only part that is 1 1/2 is the tailpiece that goes to the sink. We live in NYC. Not sure if this is local code. Also not too sure how much I trust his judgement so I'm here trying to make sure. Thanks again.

Just1

Reaction score
Jim I have plenty of room down there now. The wall is open exposing the Tee and there are no cabinets installed yet.

Just1

Reaction score
I'm alil offended by the way you speak of NYC. Jk. This is what my neighbor/plumber recommends: Thread a new 2" galv nipple into the tee and cut off the other threaded end. Install a mission style coupling on the cut end of the nipple and put a piece of 2" pvc out of the other side of the coupling. Then install a union style trap and switch over to 1 1/2 tubular for the sink tailpiece. How this this setup sound? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
That's what I suggested, except I'd rather not use galvanized. What you had rusted out...why replace it with something that will again? Brass or SS will cost more, but then the fact you don't have to redo it is worth something.

Just1

Reaction score
Yes Jim I would have rather used brass but I couldn't find a 2" one locally. Would I be better off using a male pvc adapter threaded into the tee and then just solvent weld a pvc stub and go right to the trap with that? The only drawback I see with that option is that without the mission coupling I wouldn't be able to take the drain apart easily.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you have enough room, you don't have to solvent weld the whole thing...you can still use a nohub if you wish to make disassembly easier. Normally, that doesn't happen until the next remodel, though. PVC threaded fittings are not considered the strongest thing. That being said, I've used them successfully. A pro would have more exposure and have more thoughts on this.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would use the galvanized nipple before I would a plastic one. People can be abusive in jamming stuff into their cabinets, and the plastic would be the weakest point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks