Galvanized sink stubout soldered to drain/vent. Or maybe lead piping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom918

Reaction score
Bought a house built in the 50s. Thats the start of my problem . Anyways the Galvanized kitchen sink drain stubout is cracked and leaking so I must replace. Cut wall out to see what im working with only to find that the Galvanized stubout is soldered to the black cast pipe. Why they did not put a T in is beyond my understanding. But that being as it may I would like some advice as to how I could replace the stubout. Or of I should even try. Ty photos attached.

20170306_092833.jpg

20170306_092817.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That is lead piping. Done before my start in plumbing. Normally when I see that, I hope to be able to trace it back to some cast iron with a hub that I can insert plastic to. In that photo, you're a long way from any cast.

washer-galv-abs-2.jpg

A cast iron hub at the floor level

washer-galv-abs-3.jpg

2" ABS inserted into the hub with a Fernco insert.

Reach4

Reaction score
A magnet will let you easily distinguish lead from cast iron or steel.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Galvanized pipe is threaded.
Cast iron pipe is connected by either lead poured joints, sleeved hub joints or couplings.
Lead pipe was assembled like in your pictures often for lavs and sinks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks