Galvanized Pipe Elbow Alignment

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Duke76, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Duke76

Duke76 New Member

I have a very basic question.

I'm connecting a length of galvanized pipe with a 90 degree elbow that connects to another length of galvanized pipe. I need to ensure the elbow points in the proper direction to match up with another elbow 10 feet away. If I tighten the elbow as much as I can it points the wrong way.

Is the proper procedure to tighten as much as possible and then to back it off a bit to achieve the proper angle? And rely upon pipe compound for a water tight fit ?

Thank you.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

There is a bit of a "touch" involved. You do not want to back it off. The idea is to tighten and know when you are on the last turn, and stop at the right point, or go around again!
  3. JasonG

JasonG New Member

I read somewhere that after hand tightening, tighten one complete turn with a wrench and then continue to tighten to alignment. Is this good advice?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

Very bad advice.
  5. Duke76

Duke76 New Member

Thanks guys. HJ, are you commenting on JasonG's advice ? Do you agree with Jimbo's answer.

Thanks in advance.
  6. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

That is the bottom line -- fully sealed and not broken -- and there is no turn-counting formula.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

There are ANSI specs for thread engagement turns, but the spec itself acknowledges that there is so much variance from ideal in the cutting machines out there in the "real world" that the spec is just a guide. Back to the "touch"!