Galvanized drain entering old Cast Iron Hub

Users who are viewing this thread

Etbrown4

Reaction score
We have an 1.5" galvanized drain line entering an old cast iron hum which looks like it might be 3"

It leaks at the point of entry.

We're not old timers, but as I recall they used to pack those hubs with hot lead.

Tips on how to reseal this or to stop the leak would be appreciated.

Anyone tried JB Weld for this application?

Etbrown4

Reaction score
Not sure an inspector would approve the special polyurethane calk as they usually want an astm #, though it looks like it would work.

With repacking the lead with a chizel, is there any need to try to heat it?

Reach4

Reaction score
That second link says "Meets Federal specification TT-S-00230C, Type II, Class A; ASTM C920 Type S, Grade NS, Class 25 USDA Authorized for use in federally inspected poultry plants."

I don't know if that is the kind of number you would want.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no need to attempt to heat the lead. You use a dull cold chisel to close any cracks in the lead. Bang on the chisel with a hammer. As you bang on it the lead will spread out to close the crack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks