Gable vent for DWV vent termination?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Nate R, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Nate R

Nate R New Member

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are gable vents available to connect to a plumbing vent to allow exterior termination (As opposed to an AAV) without going through the roofline. But I can't find anything online like this. Am I making it up, or does someone make a way to terminate a vent through a gable? I have a main stack that's CI, but the easiest route to vent my new tub and sink would be through the gable, if possible.
  2. Nate R

Nate R New Member

No one? Is vent termination through a gable allowed at all?
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Under some lenient codes it may be. Through the roof would be better!
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you think about what comes out of that vent, you wouldn't want it anywhere but as high as you can get it. Depending on the wind conditions, location of windows, etc., you could end up with it blowing into your bedroom, or infiltrating the attic through other vents. It is specified to be through the roof for a safety, practical, and health reason.
  5. Herk

Herk Plumber

Usually, if you vent through the gable or the side of the house, you are required to run the vent above the roof anyway. (UPC)
  6. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Same under IRC.
  7. Nate R

Nate R New Member

Gotcha. Well scratch that then.

I guess I wasn't really thinking about what comes out of there. I keep just imagining venting as a pressure balance mechanism, but it's much more than that.
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The vent is an open line to the sewer or septic system.
  9. Nate R

Nate R New Member

Right, and I wasn't thinking of it that way when I was thinking of gable termination.