g 1/2" thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark_Bert

Reaction score
Looking at some shower body jets online and the connection size is listed as G1/2". The technical diagrams shows it as 2cm diameter. What exactly is the G1/2" thread size? Are there special connectors for this or can a standard thread fitting work?

Mark Olenick

I've got a good memory. It's just short ;-/
Reaction score
Looking at some shower body jets online and the connection size is listed as G1/2". The technical diagrams shows it as 2cm diameter. What exactly is the G1/2" thread size? Are there special connectors for this or can a standard thread fitting work?

What you got there is also know as British Standard Pipe thread. BSP is differs from NPT (National Pipe Thread) in that the pitch of the groves is different. While it is possible to mix and match NPT and BSP in most applications if the right amount of dope is used, I would tend not to recommend it. Based on your post I'd say your looking at CA or European components.

Mark_Bert

Reaction score
What you got there is also know as British Standard Pipe thread. BSP is differs from NPT (National Pipe Thread) in that the pitch of the groves is different. While it is possible to mix and match NPT and BSP in most applications if the right amount of dope is used, I would tend not to recommend it. Based on your post I'd say your looking at CA or European components.
I've been trying to find some female fittings to connect these but I'm having no luck so far. Any suggestions on where I might look?

PGB1

Reaction score
I know this thread is very old, but I'm adding just in case someone stumbles upon it looking for information. Hopefully it will clear up a little confusion & helps someone someday:

Your G thread is the same as fittings titled BSPP
PF, used mostly in Japan, is also the same as G & BSPP
But there are other British threads that people confuse.

Huh? Which Is Which?
BSP is a technical standard called "British Standard Pipe". It covers two distinctly different threads:
Both are 55 Degree pitch, but...
A) BSPT is tapered thread. It looks almost exactly like NPT with a slightly more severe taper.
B) BSPP is parallel or straight thread. There's no taper.

How To Spot The Difference:
You can easily tell the difference between male BSPP & BSPT because BSPP used an O-Ring to seal & BSPT does not.
BSPP female fittings have a flat land for the O-Ring.

Which Is More Common?
The BSPP is excellent at the high pressures seen in hydraulics. It's often used in North American hydraulics, too.
BSPP is the standard for hydronic radiators in the UK, Europe & Asia. Most of the flat panel ones & towel warmers sold in
North America also use BSPP (G): 3/4 for the bottom & 1/2 for the sides.
(Either Myson or Runtal are NPT. I always forget which one.)

I've only noticed BSPT to NPT in hydraulic catalogs. It is used in the UK for general plumbing work, too.

Versus NPT?
BSPP (G) kinda-sorta fits 1/2" NPT, but eventually they'll leak. The pitch is too loose of a fit. The diameters are
also different. (I suppose the evil & dreaded blue Leak-Lock might work for a longer time than pipe dope or tape.)

Adapters To NPT & To Tubing via Compression:
Adapters are available at hydraulic stores, McMaster Carr and anyplace that sells flat panel radiators.

You can also get adapters to take copper tubing or PEX to a male G fitting by compression. The G3/4 size is common to almost all flat panel radiators. The beauty of those is one can remove them and re-use. Example: Simplex F11173 & it's siblings. I've seen those at a 6 degree angle & still not leak.

I hope this is helpful to someone for clearing up the confusion.
Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks