Furnace venting inside a wall

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by sctclimbs, Oct 18, 2007.

1. sctclimbs

sctclimbs New Member

I am remodeling a bathroom. When I ripped out the shower stall I found behind the wall is my furnace vent pipe which is 7 in. diamter Type B gas vent pipe.. So rather having just a stud wall, the wall behind the shower was framed seperately 5 inches out from the framing of the other interior wall to allow enough space for the pipe plus the 1 inch gap on each side that is required clearance from combustable materials. I would really love to regain that 5 inches of space to allow for a larger shower. Can I just replace that section of vent pipe with an oval pipe that is designed to go inside stud walls?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I have not seen 8" oval. Amerivent seems to have only 4,5,6
  3. sctclimbs

sctclimbs New Member

I screwed up, it is a 6 inch pipe. So can I just change it to a 6 inch oval?

Actually, the vent connector coming out of the furnace is 4 inch type B pipe. For some reason it then changes to 6 inch. The pipe serves only the furnace, no other appliances connect into it. I'm guessing when the old furnace was replaced they just kept the original 6 in. pipe in place. Am I wrong to think that I could change the entire vent system to 4 inch pipe with 4inch oval going thru that section of wall?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Maybe....see if you can find the manual for the furnace and see what they require.