Furnace Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the equivelent length of a 3" PVC short and long 90 on a 90% furnace exaust vent.

I am being asked to lengthen the pipe by 7' and add 1 / 90 on the exterior of the house because it is dumping out next to a new hot tub.

The max length of the run can be 70'.

There is 31' of pipe 2 / 90s and 1 / 45 right now.

Thanks

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
As far as I know, there is no generic standard for venting of 90+ furnaces. There are limitations on where intakes and vents terminate which are prescribed by code, and are standard. The actual sizing of vents and the equivalent losses for fittings varies by the manufacturer. When dealing with venting of these appliances, nearly all codes digress to 'installed per manufacturers specifications'.

Hope the customer has the literature/installation manual for the furnace.

That being said, I do know that you will not find an equivalent for a short sweep 90. I've yet to see or hear of a manufacturer allowing them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends on the specific restrictions on that particular brand. Just looked at a Weil-Mclain vent install manual...max of 2 elbows allowed. On the particular one I looked at (Ultra-80), the max length of straight pipe was 100', so that shouldn't be a problem with the added length (again, though it is up to the specific unit you have). They specify long-radius elbows to keep the back pressure down.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Trane XL 90 Mod.# TVC120c96 o or 0 B6

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks