Furnace -- no filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
I have looked everywhere for the filter on a furnace at my Mothers condo. It's in the attic sits low on the attic floor. is there such a thing as a furnace with a self cleaning filter or something because I don't see anything and have been up there twice looking. Even looked inside at return airs etc.

Can't find the model number either or the manufacturer.

Reach4

Reaction score
It should have a filter. Somebody may have taken it out. Look where the cold air return connects to to the compartment where the blower is.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible that nobody ever made provisions for a filter, but that's a bad idea! Without one, the heat exchanger and ductwork can get pretty grungy. At the heat exchanger, it could be more of an issue if it got really bad.

Mar3232

Reaction score
This is in a condo and the furnace IS in an attic. I'm sure plenty are installed this way but it is inconvenient for the owner to get up there -- as I say looked everywhere but I'll just have to make a call. The furnace is gas and sits low on the floor, maybe just a couple of feet high but wide -- like you had a conventional upright furnace and laid it on it's side.

Mar3232

Reaction score
Thanks HJ -- this is typical then of an attic mounted furnace and air handler? It's my Mother's condo -- I'm just familiar with the homes I've lived in. So what happens? Is it a more open mesh or something that doesn't clog up? Thanks.

Mar3232

Reaction score
By the way, there is no ductwork underneath it that's accessible -- the garage is underneath and I see no duct at all. I,m assuming it's built inside the floor/ceiling.

James Flores

Reaction score
Hi there, rather than searching, you should hire some good technician who can actually look up to the problem and fix it all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks