Functional differences between Toto models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mandochop

Reaction score
Hi Terry and all,

Thanks to some great help and info here we decided to use Toto toilets in our remodel. We were all set to go with the Drake, but then some stylistic questions were raised.

My question is: what are the actual differences in how well the toilet functions, between the Drake (the best functioning along with Ultramax) and the Dartmouth (which also has G-Max) and the Plymouth (which does not)? To be clear, I am referring to the toilet's ability to clear solid waste without clogging and backups. No more plungers!

While the latter two models might look nicer than the Drake in our house, I would rather go with the Drake if it clearly does the job better than the other two. Are there any other variables or factors to consider when evaluating the functional capacity of the toilet?

Thanks so much for your time and advice.

Mandochop

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mandochop,
Any of the ones you mentioned would be good.
My son likes the Dartmouth, and I kind of lean toward the Plymouth.
Performance on the 3" flush valve Toto products is good, so choosing for style is easy.

toto_plymouth-2.jpg

TOTO Plymouth

Last edited:

Mandochop

Reaction score
Thanks Terry,

If that's the case, then is the only point to the Drake and Ultramax their styling? I'm pretty sure I recall you stating in various places around the website that those two models function the best. I also recall seeing somewhere -- can't remember where just now -- a chart measuring function among the various toilets, and in which the Drake and Ultramax came out clearly ahead. I'd been basing my concerns on those two bits of information. But I understand you to say at this point that even if they are better functioning, the difference is not significant.

I suppose I should ask if, in your opinion, the function on the Dartmouth and Plymouth is significantly better than other brands of toilets? I assume the answer is yes.... Heck, all I know is I hate the Kohler toilets we have now since they just don't do the job all the time!

Anyway, thanks for one more round of clarification.

Mandochop

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto products are pretty similar, In my opinion better than most others.

They combine bowl depth, dependability, ease of repair and completeness of flush
I put the Drake and the Ultramax at the top of the list mainly on price and performance.

There are other models that are similar, but may be priced higher and have more style.
But then style usually does cost more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks