Fully glazed Cadet 3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Justwondering

Reaction score
Hi, quick question I hope someone can help with. I am a homeowner who is replacing a toilet. I read the reviews here and decided to get a Cadet 3 American Standard. I had read of one poster who had a problem getting a well glazed Cadet3 so I wanted to be careful to inspect ours before we installed it.

Here's my question. The underside of the bowl rim is not glazed at all and I don't know if this is standard or a mistake? Our current toilet was in the house when we bought it and the underside of the rim has always been stained. I can't tell from looking at the old one if they are glazed or not. Looking online I see a lot of mention of glaze problems in traps but I don't know if the underside of the bowl is supposed to be glazed too? It seem logical that it should be but I have no idea.
Any info is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Justwondering

Reaction score
Is this too stupid of a question for anyone to answer?:p
I hope not, I'd love to do this tomorrow but I want to wait until I know.
Anyone??? thanks sue

SamC

Reaction score
It's not too stupid to ask. Some toilets are glazed under the rim, but most are not, since it doesn't show. The two Totos I have are not glazed under the rim.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I hope they're customer supplied.

Of course!

I got it good lately... I hate buying toilets to install, it keeps me liable that way and that sucks.

I usually, almost always convince the customer by these words:

"If you have the toilet there with bolts/wax rings/supply line right next to the one being replaced, we can usually get the toilet replaced on average without flange problems in an hour and 15 minutes, usually."

The one I did thursday took less than 45 minutes and I was screwing off just to get it to last that long.

I've been flat rating toilet replacements with that scenario.

If I have to go spend money and install that same toilet, price only goes up, way up.

If something is wrong with that toilet, I make money.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Just ran my finger under my Cadet 3 rim (yuk) and I can confirm it is not glazed there.

It is a cracking toilet. Two years plus now and going strong.

Korky enhanced of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I installed a Toto Drake in my house some time ago.... Years in fact!
I'm not keeping track of time because I don't worry about it...
It just works!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
For the price you paid for it, I'd hope it would Redwood. Congratulations.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you search around, the difference in price is very small; especially if you amortize it over the typical 30-years or so the thing stays in a bathroom. The toilets in my mother's house were over 50-years old before I replaced them (with two Drakes).

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That's a very good point. I never thought of taking a mortgage out on a Toto. I'd guess you'd need to though. ;)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You just have to decide if having a non-defective toilet the first time around and having one that will last 30 years is for you or, not.

You can save money by getting cheaper items but then you run the risk of defects and disposable products. Usually this costs more over time as the savings on the initial purchase is consumed with replacements and repairs that a higher quality toilet wouldn't face.

Are you flipping a house and can waste time with possible defective product or do you plan on living there for a while?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am like most people I suppose. I stay in a house for a few years, maybe five.

But in 30 years, I would have hoped to move on. Both from my house and my toilet.

I do note however that strangefolk are common place in the US. My neighbor is no exception. He is 64 years old. And he still lives with his father who owns the house which he bought new in 1950. 93 years old and he still drives!

Amazing.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I am like most people I suppose. I stay in a house for a few years, maybe five.

But in 30 years, I would have hoped to move on. Both from my house and my toilet.

I do note however that strangefolk are common place in the US. My neighbor is no exception. He is 64 years old. And he still lives with his father who owns the house which he bought new in 1950. 93 years old and he still drives!

Amazing.

And there is something strange about that?
I would guess they would buy quality
Probably didn't buy a disposable car either huh?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Amortize: to write off expenses by prorating them over a period of time. This difference in cost, spread out over the life of the item - good quality often costs only a little more. If you have to take out a loan to buy a toilet, rent an apartment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks