Full bath below grade - p trap size

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank T.

Reaction score
Hi all,
Putting in the bathroom 3 feet below grade. I've read several threads where people say they can't cut the concrete slab. I don't mind doing that but between the existing sump location and the electric panel location, I don't think I have room for an ejector sump so I'd like to try a macerator pump. The question of course is about the p trap for the shower. I only have to go 4 feet from drain to pump. Can I cut concrete under the p trap and fit it under a 2x6? Should I convert to 1 1/2 drain and will that solve anything? Is it possible to put the whole saniflo pump a couple of inches down so the shower pan can sit on 2x4 on edge?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To pass code, a shower in the USA needs a 2" drain line. IN many places, any piping below ground needs to be at least 2", so 1.5" probably won't work. You don't want the pump to have to be constantly running, so the sump would need to be lower so it could partially fill up before turning on. Every raised shower pan I've dealt with (and the responses from most others I've heard), is that it always looks like a kludge, and it is a real trip hazard, as most people do not expect to have to step down a significant distance when exiting...the higher foot, on the wet shower pan (or tub), does not have much traction when stepping over the curb and you've got the other foot down below.

Unless the slab is post-tensioned, or you'll be cutting into the footer, cutting it isn't a radical deal.

I think you'd be better off putting in a conventional tank and ejector pump, but it's hard to say without more info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks