Frozen Forced Air Furnace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hi,

Can a Forced Air Furnace be damaged by freezing conditions? I'm considering a place where the furnace was exposed to freezing and I am wondering what could be damaged with it.

Thanks for any replies

Last edited:

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If it is high efficiency with condensate discharge, you may need to heat tape the discharge.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Or you might have to replace a tray or tube if it's let to freeze with water in the tray or tube. That would be a relatively cheep repair.

Unless the unit is in the attic and the pipe breaks away from the tray...... Been there done that.:(

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My condensing boiler has a trap in it, so if it held water, you'd probably break it. A conventional furnace would not normally have any water in it by design...not saying if you left it in the rain and then it froze you wouldn't have problems (maybe more from the rain in the controls!), but normally, except for the water vapor from the combustion process that normally goes out the flue, there should not be any water in there, and the controls normally wouldn't have a problem, or they'd never be able to ship them anywhere in the winter...few train cars or tractor trailers are heated.

Boilers, on the other hand, unless purged (blown dry) would likely have problems, depending on the quantity and where water was in them when it froze.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks