Frozen baseboard heating pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

James W

Reaction score
A couple of years ago during a particularly cold winter came home to a garage full of water. Turned out the original hot water baseboard heating pipe for the top floor had about 8 feet between rooms run through an unheated attic space with no pipe insulation . Haven't had a problem since (it's insulated now!) but I do get nervous on cold days. I was thinking about running a length of heating cable, perhaps on spacers to avoid direct contact, but wonder if this is an acceptable application.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Insulation doesn't 'make' heat, it only slows the transfer from the hotter area to the colder area. If it was that cold, I'd expect that zone would have been calling for heat, and it shouldn't have happened. But, if you shut it off, or turn it down at night, it could. If the line runs close to the ceiling and there's insulation above it, as long as the room below was heated, it should not happen. Many heat tapes should not be installed in insulation...you'd have to read the instructions carefully to see if it was an allowed application.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks