From one shower head to two.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by RunninRich, Jun 19, 2007.

1. RunninRich

RunninRich New Member

How can I tell if my water pressure is sufficient to do this? I can remove the shower head and measure the GPM and/or PSI. Is that information enough to make a decision. How much would I need?

Rich
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A typical showerhead is restricted by national requirements to be no more than 2.5 gpm at some pressure (not sure what that is). So, ideally, your valve would be able to flow at least twice that for two heads. Now, getting them balanced might be harder in a retrofit. If the pressure isn't that great with one, two will be worse. If it feels like you're getting pelted, it probably won't.
  3. RunninRich

RunninRich New Member

So, if I get more than 5 GPM from the shower stem, then I'm good for two heads provided my plumber can plumb the proper loop system?

Rich
  4. KSHandyMan

KSHandyMan Junior Member

I'm running up against this issue right now and I have called at least 4 professional plumbers and, after explaining how I wanted two shower heads and outling my concern about pressure, each one said, "Well, it SHOULD work." That wasn't really the kind of confirmation I was looking for but I'm going to try it anyway.
  5. AlwaysInHotWater

AlwaysInHotWater New Member

flow rate

I have installed dual shower heads on several showers. The key is the flow rate out the bare pipe. Some mixer valves are low flow and won't allow much water through so a dual shower set isn't going to work well with them. Fortunately, most mixers are not of the low flow variety. Take your shower head off and measure the flow rate coming out the bare pipe.

Some of the dual shower sets do indeed have low flow heads while others have heads that can be converted to a higher flow rate. I recommend using a flow valve behind each of the heads.

I have installed dual sets that are side-by-side and others that are on jointed extension arms. Be wary of the cheapy arms, they'll soon droop and leak. The side-by-side are okay but harder for 2 people to use unless you can stand next to each other.

The last set I put on ran about $200 for the arms, valves and heads but everything was really heavy duty.
  6. RunninRich

RunninRich New Member

So does anyone know the answer? Measure from the bare pipe, yea I get that. Is 5 GPM enough? Is it a secret?

Rich
  7. dynamic flow, dynamic pressure, not static pressure. That's the answer. My guess is you'll be fine. But I'm not there. Hope this helps.

david
  8. AlwaysInHotWater

AlwaysInHotWater New Member

5 gpm

Not much flow through a bare pipe. You'll need to stay with shower heads that perform okay with 2.5 gpm flow rate. Most of the dual shower head sets that I have installed have been with the flow restrictors removed and with flow control valves installed. You may be happy with a set like this: http://neatitems.com/dual_jet_shower_heads.htm