from bath remodel to replacing whole house plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

gibbie

real estate investor/rehabber
Reaction score
Hello,

I began with a bathroom remodel and now I am slowly replacing all supply and drain/vent lines too. I have several questions that I have not been able to locate the answers to on this forum.
I am replacing my copper with cpvc, it is easier for me, and I would like to start at the meter inside the basement. I have some experience from a couple of rentals I was able to practice on, thanks to the "ABSQUATULATE" of the copper. I have had no leaks or problems after a couple of years now.

I noticed the existing 3/4" copper line begins with about a 12" length of 1/2" off the 7/8" OD meter. Is this intentional? If so, could I begin with 3/4" off the meter and then increase to my desired 1" line until I am closer to the fixtures?

I presently have quite the water hammer sound at about 15 feet from the meter when ever the water is running. Will the CPVC eliminate this. My water preasure registers between 70-90psi over a 24 hr period. Is this higher preasure the cause of the hammer sound?

I also noticed that the existing 3/4" copper drops to 1/2" about 10 ft before the hot water tank (the first fixture in the waterline) and continues at 1/2" throughout the house. I suppose I can reduce from 1" and continue with 3/4" to the remainding fixtures? Is there a minimum distance before a fixture (in my case the hotwater tank) that I sould make my reduction in size?

I am sure I will have more questions to come as I progress with the sanitary drains etc in the days to come.

Great forum,

Rick

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Re-pipe

You do not want a restriction at the meter, run 3/4 in and increase to 1in. if thats the way you want to go. Most of the time 3/4in. is plenty large enough for the average house.

Your water hammer is probably existing pipe that is not secured properly. High pressure will make the sound worse, most codes only allow 80lb. max. You need a pressure reducing valve, I normally set them to approx. 60lb.; the higher the pressure the more wear and tear on your system.

Ball park figure you run the large line as close as you can and then reduce, hook-ups to the water heater should 3/4; don't forget that when you get to the water heater you have to run min. of 18in. of metalic before you tie into the cpvc, spacing of supports should be 2ft. max., since basement joists are 16in. on center put a strap on every one. Lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

gibbie

real estate investor/rehabber
Reaction score
Shacko,

Thank you for your response. As for a preasure control valve, is that the $40 part at Lowe's that looks like a "tee pee" made of brass and weights about 5 lbs? The clerk in the store was not sure this is what I was looking for. If it is I will need to support it seperate from the cpvc. Do you have any suggestions as to how to do this?

I purchased an inline pressure gauge.

I do have the 24" copper lines that connect to the hotwater tank.

I hope to begin running this tomorrow.

Rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks