Frod compression fittings concerns

Users who are viewing this thread

C.bunk

Reaction score
Do Ford quick connect compression fittings work with 3/4 PEP (iron pipe size) or just with PET (copper tube size)?

C.bunk

Reaction score
The catalog on fordmeterbox.com shows a quick connect (how it works) diagram in small print it says it is designed for copper and cts, but then in their parts list it shows an asteric next to the 3/4 P.E.P.x 3/4 f.I.p. (And says also available in quick connect (which in their own fine print says quick connect fittings are designed for cts). A little confusing! I'm hoping the supply house sold me the correct size. The Difference between the o.d.'s for 1"CTS and 3/4PEP (iron pipe size) only about 1/16" I used the fitting and tested it and buried it it's been two days and holding.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think you are mixing things up. PEP is polyethylene pipe, NOT iron pipe. So you have to be careful to get the fitting for what you are using. I don't know for sure how much tolerance there is on a pack joint. I would recommend getting one spec'd for the pipe you are using.

C.bunk

Reaction score
I understand that PEP is plastic pipe and not iron pipe but PEP's "control" for sizing is iron pipe size. (example: 3/4 PEP has the same I.D. as 3/4 Iron pipe.) I think were just misunderstanding each other. As far as this relates to the original concern, I think the supply house may have sold me a quick joint compression coupling for 1" cts and I used it on 3/4 PEP. The O.D. For 1" cts is about 1/16 larger than the O.D. For 3/4 PEP. I'm concerned that that extra 1/16 difference may not allow the compression joint to "compress" the stainless steel ring and rubber gasket hard enough to keep the pipe from pulling out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;example: 3/4 PEP has the same I.D. as 3/4 Iron pipe

You are the one who is confused. I.D. has NOTHING to do with being cts or ips. The O.D. is the determining factor. In fact, keeping the copper tubing I.D. constant is the reason the O.D.s are different, because of the variation in pipe wall thickness. Plastic pipe, for a given size, however, will have a smaller I.D. because the pipe has a thicker wall, but the O.D. will remain constant. If the fitting is 1/16" too large, the components, especially the stainless steel ring, will not tighten properly.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
And a fitting for poly needs to use a stiffener insert. Get the fitting for the type of pipe you have. It's not that hard!

C.bunk

Reaction score
Your right I was confused. I was talking about copper pipe size (not copper tubing) having the same outside diameter as cts poly. Also I.P. Having the same I.D. As PEP. Any way the reason I was so worried was because it was in the ground and buried in 4 ft of dirt. but I went back to the supply house and had them reprint my invoice it was the right fitting. So ---- it I'm done with this blog. Thanks for your input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks