French Drain Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Seaneys

Reaction score
Hello,

I live near Chicago. We occasionally get a few inches of 'ponding' in our back yard. The ponding only occurs when there extreme rains.

I've installed a few french drains to help out. I'd like to add a pump to one of the french drains to pump water to the street. The bottom of the french drains are down about 54" below grade. The french drains a have a single small surface drain as an inlet.

What are the options for a pump that can be set in a french drain? I need something that is zero maintenance. It will take a shovel to get to it.

THanks,
STeve

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Hello,

I live near Chicago. We occasionally get a few inches of 'ponding' in our back yard. The ponding only occurs when there extreme rains.

I've installed a few french drains to help out. I'd like to add a pump to one of the french drains to pump water to the street. The bottom of the french drains are down about 54" below grade. The french drains a have a single small surface drain as an inlet.

What are the options for a pump that can be set in a french drain? I need something that is zero maintenance. It will take a shovel to get to it.

THanks,
STeve

Not sure I understand this. A French drain is typically a small channel between the foundation wall and floor that is approx. 1/2" wide and may or may not go down to the depth of the footer. They surround the entire perimeter. You would then need to dig a "sump pit" near this channel to install a sump pump.

Caution: You may have created a radon issue. I highly recommend you now test your basement for radon since you now may have created a leak path for this gas.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Not sure I understand this. A French drain is typically a small channel between the foundation wall and floor that is approx. 1/2" wide and may or may not go down to the depth of the footer. They surround the entire perimeter. You would then need to dig a "sump pit" near this channel to install a sump pump.

Caution: You may have created a radon issue. I highly recommend you now test your basement for radon since you now may have created a leak path for this gas.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A French drain, drain tile, or land drain is a ditch filled with gravel or rock that redirects surface and ground water away from an area. French drains are common drainage systems, primarily used to prevent ground and surface water from penetrating or damaging building foundations. Alternatively, the French drain technique may be used to distribute water, such as that which flows from the outlet of a typical septic tank sewage treatment system. French drains are also used behind retaining walls to relieve ground water pressure.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A French drain, drain tile, or land drain is a ditch filled with gravel or rock that redirects surface and ground water away from an area. French drains are common drainage systems, primarily used to prevent ground and surface water from penetrating or damaging building foundations. Alternatively, the French drain technique may be used to distribute water, such as that which flows from the outlet of a typical septic tank sewage treatment system. French drains are also used behind retaining walls to relieve ground water pressure.

Perhaps it is a geographical thing ... in my area the French drain is as I described and a Footing drain is what you described.

Seaneys

Reaction score
Sorry - I did not explain it correctly.

I have a french drain connected to a dry well. The sump goes in the dry well.

kkiekow

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
French Drain

In Houston, there are no basements because the water table is too high.
At times, the pools in the back yards are surrounded by decorative concrete or cool deck. When the solid surface is installed next to the actual foundation, at times a "French Drain" is placed next to the foundation with an open grid running the length of the foundation. The drain pipe is located just below this grid. When we are deluged with a severe rain storm, the drain cannot carry the water away fast enough. I need a pump to force the water to recede at a quicker rate. I am collecting 2-3" of water at the drain which is coming into my home. What kind of pump can be installed to assist me with this problem? And is this the problem you are having?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Hello,

THanks,
STeve

Steve, any good sump pump like a Hydromatic DA-1 or a Zoeller M58 would work fine for you. They are the most two common pumps used in the Chicago land area. Just go to any plumbing supply house they all carry both pumps. Depending on what suburb you are in, There is Myer supply in Glen Ellyn and Aurora, Sterling supply in Lisle, Ferguson in Addison, Argo Summit in Summit right off Archer and 55th

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If I'm understanding this correctly he wants to put a sump pump in the bottom of a dry well that is in his yard. This is feasible assuming, acknowledging that stone, silt, and mud may drastically effect the life of the pump.

Proper electrical installation would be my bigger concern on this project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks