Freeze Proof Hose Bib Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Game04

Reaction score
I am going to be replacing a hose bid with the freeze proof type. What determines what length of valve that should be installed? Does it just need to reach inside to the other side of the wall or should it extend further inside?

In regards to the hose bid shut off valve would it be beneficial to replace the current globe valve with a ball valve? It seems like I mostly see globe valves installed for hose bibs but I have heard you get greater water pressure with ball valves. Would this be a noticeable increase or not enough to make it worth replacing the valve?

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The frost free valves close at the inside end. This is normally where the valve connects to the supply line. There would no no benefit for extending the valve beyond the wall. Just be sure the valve has a downward angle toward the outside. Until recently, it was necessary to remove the hose from the bib before frost season, but some (not all) of the new ones will drain even with the hose attached. Unless the one you buy specifically says it will drain with the hose applied, remove the hose. You do not get more pressure using one type of valve or another, but you will get more flow from a ball valve. Problem with using ball valves for a hose bib is it is difficult to regulate flow if you only want a trickle of water. I believe ball valves should be used either full on of full off.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing many people don't realize is that there are at least a couple of brands of frost free hose bibs that are designed for both hot and cold. So, if you want to wash the dog, or yourself, you can do it with warm water! Really nice. It's good for washing and rinsing the car, too. I know both Moen and Woodford make them, but there are probably others as well.

You want the rear, working guts of a frostfree hose bib to be entirely inside of heated space where it has no chance of freezing. That is dictated by the thickness of your walls and whether that area can get any heat or not.

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/Wall_Faucet_Pages/Model-22.html
And here's the Moen.

Attachments

• Moen outdoor faucet.jpg
    Moen outdoor faucet.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,539
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks