Freestanding bathtub in shower room (wet room) waterproofing drain ?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by yukimika, May 21, 2014.

1. yukimika

yukimika New Member

2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD for both Canada & the US

Design Work World Wide: Bathrooms Vancouver Area
    [​IMG]
    Photo Source

Hmm - what about the anti tip brackets?

How do you flood test it?

Did you see this article on mine on Houzz.com? Why to put tub in the shower

Here is one way you could do it. This install did not require the anti tip brackets. The tub was a reclaimed cast iron soaker. The black tube to the right of the tub filler is a 2" No Hub Fitting.

Not an easy install.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. yukimika

yukimika New Member

I see the picture. but I do not understand how the drain though membrane gets waterproofed. Can anyone help explain?
    Thanks

5. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD for both Canada & the US

Design Work World Wide: Bathrooms Vancouver Area
    After the flood test the room was tiled. With the No-Hub fitting left in place. Then I cut it about 1" higher than the tile floor. Later the plumber drop the tub into position. The overflow pipe sliding through the no-hub fitting. We then siliconed the top and bottom.

GTG.

6. yukimika

yukimika New Member

OK Thanks. I see that now. But my question is beyond that and maybe my question is so stupid that it wasn't apparent what I was asking.

How does the No-Hub fitting break though the membrane and maintain watertightness?

It's not like a proper shower drain assembly that ties into membrane. ??

Thanks for your help

7. yukimika

yukimika New Member

Thanks johnfrwhipple! Your detailed instructions were very very helpful. booking the phone call via no-curb.blogspot.ca was worth every bit.

thanks again!

8. spencer yohn

spencer yohn New Member

I know this is old thread but hopefully someone is still tied to it. Yukimika or johnfrwhipple, any chance you could help me out with the solution to this.

I have a wet room with a free standing tub on opposite side of body sprayers and shower heads. The body sprayers are powerful enough when turned full open, they will hit against the wall behind the tub even. With the free standing tub, it was a 2 part tub with a shell and insert unit. We siliconed and grouted the shell to the tile floor, but after some use by the client, it of course has wiggled the silicone and or grout loose enough to allow the water that occasionally hits back wall, to find its way under the shell and to the drain under the shell and will leak below.

Any help or ideas to waterproof the through floor drain of the free standing tub shell would be great.thank you

9. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Wouldn't the easier way to just put a second shower drain underneath the tub, and then not hard pipe the tub, let it use an indirect outlet to the drain?

10. spencer yohn

spencer yohn New Member

Yes but it won't quite drain right. That amount of water from the full tub is too much at once for a floor drain and it would just be standing water on the floor slowly draining. We did think about doing that but decided against it.

11. jadnashua

If it is built like a shower, with slope on the floor, it wouldn't matter. To optimize it, you might consider a 3" shower drain verses the more commonly installed 2".

12. Smooky

Smooky Well-Known Member

13. jadnashua

It should be easy to make a water-tight connection to a typical tub drain, but, the question is, if the entire room is a wet room, how to make the hole around a typical tub trap and drain waterproof to the shower liner. The original suggestion was to silicon it in place, which wouldn't meet any plumbing codes I'm aware of, unless it was specifically designed for that, which a normal tub drain is not.