Free-standing radiator tip over?

Users who are viewing this thread

old_home

Reaction score
I have free-standing cast iron radiators in my home, and one of them was relocated during a recent renovation. The radiator was originally connected with black iron pipe, but the plumbing contractor re-connected it with PEX in its new location.

My question is, what prevents a free-standing radiator from tipping over? Was the rigid connection of the black iron pipe providing some support and stability that's missing now with the PEX? I'm sure it wouldn't tip over on its own, but with kids in the house you never know what could happen.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I'd install a support bracket to it. The rigid pipe did help support the old one, but pex will have much less.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your plumber is a __________.

Cast iron radiator, PEX pipe, hot water, small kids = disaster.

He needs to come back and redo that properly so it will pass inspection.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Another thing to consider...pex is NOT UV resistant, and must be covered to prevent degradation. What temperatures do you run your boiler at? Pex has a limit there as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks