frankin 1hp pump not starting up, but using electricity

Users who are viewing this thread

Sprinkler

Reaction score
Hi, I dropped a 1hp Franklin pump down to around 47 meters, and after connecting the 35 mf capacitor, I switch on and I see the electric meter in the house runs noticibly faster, but the pump is silent. The 2 poles of the capacitors are live when the pump is on. But maybe I'm missing something? All I did was drop the pump in the well, install the capacitor.....is anything else necessary? Like preparing the pump or priming it?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If it is a 2 wire motor you don't need a capacitor. Just hook up the two wires to 230 volt supply from the pressure switch or straight to the breaker.

If it is a three wire motor you will need a capacitor start box with a capacitor and a relay.

Sprinkler

Reaction score
If it is a 2 wire motor you don't need a capacitor. Just hook up the two wires to 230 volt supply from the pressure switch or straight to the breaker.

If it is a three wire motor you will need a capacitor start box with a capacitor and a relay.
It's a 3 wire 1hp Franklin. Wire colors from pump are yellow / green (earth) brown, blue and black. First I connected the brown to one pole of capacitor, the blue to the other pole and then continued this blue to line (house) and the black wire directly to the other line in the house. But silent pump. I called the local pump supplier and they suggested changing the wiring like this from pump: black to one pole of capacitor, blue to the other and continue blue to line; brown directly to the other line in house. Obviously earth also to house. They said this would or should work as the pump is 1hp. I gather (?) the smaller pumps would work with the first wiring plan (black wire direct from pump to line.). Thanks.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can't just hook up a 3 wire motor directly to a capacitor like that. It needs a relay to turn the capacitor off as soon as the pump starts. You need a regular pump control box sized for that motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks