Fountain leaking at PVC pipe/cement joint

Users who are viewing this thread

gigibelle

Reaction score
Hello experts! I am desperate for help with a problem. I have a leaking millstone fountain. I strongly suspect it is coming from the joining of PVC pipe to cement bowl, where you run the water pump cord down and through for plugging in to outlet. The joint where the PVC pipe fits into cement bowl of a fountain looks like it needs maintenance and the leak appears to come from there. It is below the waterline when fountain is in use. I cleaned the joining with isopropyl alcohol and a rag to remove debris, water scale or buildup, old sealant or caulking. Per a Home Depot employee recommendation on the problem, I then applied Oatey Purple Primer for PVC, CPVC, then followed with Oatey Regular PVC Cement. These products came as a 2 part system in a box together so I know they go together. It's now curing.

My question is, will this hold? It doesn't seem like the cement is very thick or durable...like a type of caulking would be. But I am NO professional! My husband is no help in this area...so I need the real handymans/handywomans advice!

Thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The cement you inidicate is to join two pices of pvc together, it will not likely seal it to anything else, in this case the concrete. It is similar to the glue used to put plastic models together in that it is designed to actually melt the two pieces together.

I think you need something else, maybe a compression fitting or some silicon caulk. Can you post a picture of the area you are trying to seal?

gigibelle

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, Jim and Mike! I attach a photo of the problem area. I am not sure if it's at the stone basin to PVC joint or PVC to PVC joint. I want to cover both scenarios. I strongly suspect that it may be at the cement to PVC site. It was not a slow dripping, but an actual mini stream type of trickle! I hope the picture helps...

photo2.jpg

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go to a swimming pool supply store and buy some underwater epoxy. That pvc cement will wear away in short order.

Attachments

• Underwater epoxy.jpg
    Underwater epoxy.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 419

gigibelle

Reaction score
I never thought of that, Eric! Thanks! Do I need to remove the pvc cement and primer prior to application or can I apply directly over it...

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use a screw driver edge to scrape away the bulk of the PVC cement, then lightly sand the surfaces to roughen them up a bit before applying.

gigibelle

Reaction score
I have sanded and wiped the area down and removed any discernible globules of PVC cement. An airship order of Mr. Sticky's Underwater Glue is on it's way!
lg_12579_19000.jpg

I will repost when the job is done tommorrow and let you know how it went! Thanks SO much for all your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Epoxy may be too brittle since the cement and pvc will expand and contract at significantly different rates. Read the application notes carefully before installing...may be fine. that's why I was thinking a good silicon, it would seal, but allow for the differences in expansion/contraction.

gigibelle

Reaction score
Frenchie and Jim,
Thanks for your replies! Here's the product info below. Please advise if it is still okay to use or I need to go a huntin' again!

Mr. Sticky’s® Underwater Glue is a flexible, toughened, non-corrosive, structural adhesive specially designed for various applications and substrates, including wet or dry bonding of ABS, PVC, flexible PVC, CRS, composites,wood and cement. It has been formulated for superior peel, impact and fatigue resistance. It’s toughness, impartedby flexibility, causes the energy required to break a bond to be significantly higher than brittle epoxies. Lap ShearPsi, plus high break-energy Psi afford bonds strength/resiliency.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Ah - okay, then.

I had assumed (and I assume Jim did as well), from the look of the tubes, that it was an epoxy. Epoxies are strong, but completely inflexible.

This stuff sounds fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks