foundation opening for plumbing

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by lastguy, May 17, 2005.

1. lastguy

lastguy New Member

Hi,
    Does anybody know whether I can open in (E) foundation a 6" hole for 4" sewage pipe to go through? Any change in structure I need?
    Another question is that if I have an opening of 18Hx30W in (New) foundation wall, can I use it for 4" pipe to go through?
    I refer to city code allowance for foundations of a crawl space house, crawl space of 18" high.
    thanks a lot,
    Last edited: May 17, 2005
  2. jdkimes

jdkimes Engineer

Not sure if Lastguy still needs an answer but, for the existing foundation I'd generally say that it's acceptable although if the hole cuts some re-bar it might be prudent to install some steel channel or plate above or below the hole extend 2-3ft on either side and fastened with 1/2"x 5" lag bolts to the foundation every 1ft.
    As for the pipe through the existing opening I'm confused about the question.
    Sounds like you want to run a pipe through a window
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hole

You can break or drill a hole as necessary. As long as the pipe does not affect access to the crawl space you should be able to run the pipe through the opening.
  4. install a sleeve on the pipe.

sometimes , depending on what this is going through , its also not a bad idea to install a larger section of pipe to make a sleeve for the pipe to go through...in this area its code to portect the pipe when going ito or out of a building,

we have had inspectors wanting to see a 3 inch pvc pipe going through a sleeve to protect the line...

it is not very hard to do. and if you are going out of a foundation into another section of room or underground to something,

its very likely if they see it they will require a sleeve on the pipe....

installing a sleeve after the work is done can really be a problem.
    Last edited: May 26, 2005