Found something odd. . . .you ever see this

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by wed68, Sep 14, 2009.

1. wed68

wed68 DIY Junior Member

I am in SW Louisiana and have been working in, on, or around houses all my life. I have plumbed, roofed, hung vinyl, framed, and wired em, but I can not figure out why you would put a bath tub spigot 6 inches off a tiled shower floor!

This is in a 50 year old house in a rural community, I was looking at it to resell, but I can not figure out what the spigot were for the only thing you can get under them is your feet. You would have to either pull the shower knob up with you feet or bend over to pull it.

Anybody ever see this across the country?????
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

can you post a pic
  3. wed68

wed68 DIY Junior Member

I will Try

I will try
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Handi capped accessable
  5. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

For washing and rinsing the shower floor without getting your hair wet?
  6. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

I have never come across one, but the spigot is meant to be used as a "toe tester" so you can test the temperature of the water with your feet as well as flush out any cold water in the line before you turn on the shower, so you don't get scalded or blasted with icy cold water.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

spout

I usually put them 12" to 18" above the floor so you do not have to bend over to operate the diverter. They are used so you do not get hit in the face with a jolt of cold water when you turn the valve on. The plumber who put it at 6" above the floor probably figured that it should be 6" above the tub rim so it must also have to be 6" above the floor, not having enough initiative to think why that would be ridiculous.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  8. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Yup. I think that is it.
  9. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

Well, at least I was close!