foul odor in all drains

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by perkypie, Oct 19, 2009.

1. perkypie

perkypie New Member

When my washer drains I get a foul odor in the master bath. Now I get it everytime any sink,shower,tub and washer drains. In all my drains but the kitchen.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You may have a problem with your vent system. A washing machine flows a lot of water fast, and if the vent system isn't right, could siphon out the traps in the house. Have someone listen carefully at a sink when the washer is draining to see if they can hear air or sucking sounds.

Now, if this is found to be the problem, whether it is a plugged line or bad design, you'd have to be there to tell.
  3. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

+1 to what jadnashua said. You have a venting problem (or a design problem)!
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Are you on a septic system or city sewer