foul odor in all drains

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by perkypie, Oct 19, 2009.

1. perkypie

perkypie New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    When my washer drains I get a foul odor in the master bath. Now I get it everytime any sink,shower,tub and washer drains. In all my drains but the kitchen.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    You may have a problem with your vent system. A washing machine flows a lot of water fast, and if the vent system isn't right, could siphon out the traps in the house. Have someone listen carefully at a sink when the washer is draining to see if they can hear air or sucking sounds.

Now, if this is found to be the problem, whether it is a plugged line or bad design, you'd have to be there to tell.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Jun 22, 2009
    Red Seal Journeyman Plumber & Licensed Gas Fitter
    Penticton, BC
    +1 to what jadnashua said. You have a venting problem (or a design problem)!
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

Nov 12, 2005
    Are you on a septic system or city sewer