Forward, Reverse, Motor, 3 Locations

Users who are viewing this thread

Construct30

Reaction score
I have a motor, on a hoist, if you power one wire, 110 AC, it goes one way, if you power the other wire it goes the other way. Can I use four way switches to control it from three locations? If so Can someone give me a wiring diagram? Is there a place on line I could buy a low voltage switch system to do this also?

thanks

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Could be an easy hook up if you have the correct switch and wires in place.
ON-OFF-ON moment switch. Not likely to be found at home center but they are in Grainger or electrical supply.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I have a motor, on a hoist, if you power one wire,
terminal 1
110 AC, it goes one way,
if you power the other wire
terminal 2
it goes the other way.
Can I use four way switches to control it from three locations?
Yes
Terms 1 & 2 [the travelers] go to the first 4-way, which feeds the 2nd 4-way which feeds a 3-way. The common term of the 3-way goes to 110v.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch

If you want indicators on each switch indicating which way the motor is turning you need 3 ea. neon indicators with built-in resistors.

If you need a center off you need 2 ea. DPDT center off switches and 1 ea. SPDT center off switch, all with contacts rated for a motor load at your amps. Try Hosfelt, Digi-key, Allied, Allelectronics, Mouser, Jameco, MPJA.

Less than $10 excluding shipping.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switch

Regular 4 way switches will give you operation in either direction, but will not give you an "OFF" option. For that you need motor reversing switches with a center off position which are MUCH more expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks