For Expert Plumbers: Drain Flies

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chrisf8657, Jun 26, 2011.

1. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 New Member

Howdy to our resident expert Plumbers!

While I don't have this problem, I've seen some discussions on it, and on Holmes on Homes.

What is the percentage of chance you have a broken pipe when you have drain flies?

Thanks guys!
  2. plumber2011

plumber2011 Expert Plumber

Hi Chrisf8657,

It depends. Where are the drain flies we are discussing here? Are there drain flies at a sink, at a floor drain, near an open sewer drain cleanout, near a cracked pipe, or a pipe half in the ground? Here, drain flies need water and organic matter to reproduce and for the larvae to grow, so there must be stuff like this around for drain flies to be present. They can be present indoors, or even outdoors at gutters, old tires, stuff like that...

So, "what is the percentage of chance you have a broken drain pipe when you have drain flies"? I'd say pretty good, but depends on where the drain flies are! Need more info.!!

Thanks.
  3. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 New Member

Plumber2011,

Like I said, just something I saw on TV and on youtube of a line inspection where they were breeding in a broken section of pipe. It was sinks and floor drains in the mideast to the eastern states; It was a broken pipe underground that they found on both, but alot of people thru forum posts and videos want to get rid of them, but noone mentions a broken pipe, so seeing the videos I wanted to ask.