Footing or foundation in the way of vents?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by RPN, Oct 3, 2012.

1. RPN

RPN New Member

I am having a licensed plumber do a new bathroom. He is a good plumber, but somewhat unimaginative. There are some quirks involved and I would like to have some ideas and options to offer him.

In the drawings below, the blue wall is an existing concrete block wall. The red is a concrete footing. The green is a soon to be poured concrete slab that is a new bathroom addition. There will also be a 2x3 (3" finished thickness) stud wall against the concrete block wall.

The issue is that the footer extends out 5" past the block wall. What is the best approach for getting the toilet and vanity vents into the 2x3 wall? My only thought is a couple of 45's. Since the floor is just 4" thick, even 45's might stick up out of the floor a bit (but it may have to be).

Screen shot 2012-10-03 at 3.12.28 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-10-03 at 3.12.51 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-10-03 at 3.13.36 PM.png
  2. Plumber1979

Plumber1979 Certified Plumber

no need to vent the toilet separately you can wet vent the toilet with the vanity. then your plumbing will be behind the vanity and you wont even see it if it sticks out of the concrete
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Put the pipe behind the lavatory. "Knock" the edge of the footing off and put the drain/vent line on a 45. It will be above the floor, but UNDER the cabinet floor, so it will not be visible.
  4. RPN

RPN New Member

Thanks a bunch. I will post the other quirk in a different thread.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That drain is NOT a "quirk". It is something we encounter on almost every building. So, if the plumber did NOT know how to do that without you telling him, then his qualifications might be suspect.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  6. RPN

RPN New Member

hj, he may very well have no issue with it at all. He does a mix of commercial and residential plumbing and has been in business for around 20 years.

I am just trying head off any delay causing confusion ahead of time and I may be worrying too much. As for me personally, I have never done any DWV plumbing at all and it seems mostly like a dark art to me. Also, what little plumbing I have done has been in crawl space construction (as opposed to slab).
  7. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

If he does what you say he is going to do it may well be the last job he does for awhile :p
  8. RPN

RPN New Member

TS, you have a problem with this thread?.